Friday, April 30, 2010


When reading Elaine Richardson’s She was Workin like Foreal I was alarmed at how nonchalant some of the girl’s responses were towards the video Tip Drill. It was also very disappointing given that I seen the video personally and was disgusted by it. The vulgar dance moves and lyrics made me feel personally disrespected. Even though I know, I do not fit into the category of a Tip Drill and vow never to do so, I know people who watched the video probably would not feel the same. The image portrayed by the gyrating Black women that allowed the St. Lunatics to do obscene things to them reflects horribly on the rest of the African American female race. People who are disconnected from the world learn about other cultures from what they read and view on television. If this image is what they see, you almost cannot blame them for believing that this image stands for the entire race. Personally, I do not blame the St. Lunatics who are the artist to the song for filming the video I blame the “models" who agreed to participate in this activity. The women did not come into the video blinded, they knew very well what the job entailed and knowingly participated in it. Videos like Tip Drill should not be produced any longer but for that to happen women need to stop allowing themselves to be degraded in these videos.

-Nehemie Villarceau

No comments:

Post a Comment