Friday, April 30, 2010


In Transformative College Literacy of Literate Black Women, I was definitely moved by the passage where Vania talks about how she could care less about being considered a black woman, she wants everyone to look at her and see a follower and seeker of God. I want to carry that same concept with me. The experiment conducted as part of the scholars program was a revelation. As a high school student, I went to two very different high schools, a diverse well known one in the north and a less diverse more African American one in the south. It never occurred to me to think that some people do not use racial judgment just more of foreign judgment, as if I am not; sure, how you will react therefore I shall not speak to you in a manner that might make you upset or anger you. I now see the way people approach others in a different light. This experiment was well thought of and I never seen life through a peer counselors eyes. I was in a situation where I was usually the only black female person in general, and I could not' accept it. It is not that I did not like the whites, I just felt like I could not relate to them, and I was afraid of how they would approach me. This transformative literacy also caught my eye when it spoke about direct reflection. We of course look at ourselves in a "mirror" and reflect on different parts that are needed to change, I just did not recognize how important it was to look at that first and realize self-literacy and reflection

No comments:

Post a Comment