Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Black Money





Before I read this passage, I am sad to say that I succumbed to the welfare stereotype of single young mothers who had an unplanned pregnancy. I did not know that grown people with families could be on welfare as well. Nor did I realize that women who may have been victim to a recession or legitimate loss can fall into the hands of welfare as well. Another major thing I didn't realize even more was that many of the women on welfare have some type of education.
I have a newfound respect for people on welfare. Many of the underserved people who are economically disadvantage use welfare as a step stool into the world. Many run to welfare as a recovery sect. And some who have no guilt will exploit welfare.
I think the society we reside in has more corruption and ignorance than seen on the outer shell. To degrade a human being in such a way due to the fact that it appears that they are poor or not as prosperous as another is in no way justice. Welfare leaves many women feeling dehumanized and disrespected. Even when a black woman is going against the grain and make something of herself and continue to empower themselves, those who have predetermined who they were as far as existence continue to attempt to hold them down. People on welfare are the same as everyday people. I have really come to realize that, especially after seeing how whole families can be on welfare who seem to have no financial problems looking on the outside in.

1 comment:

  1. Your insight on the issue of welware is very intersting. It is good that after you gain knowlegde on the issue and learned that your presumptions were incorrect, you recognized how much your ignorance was blinding you from the truth. It is true that many people on welfare abuse it, there are still many families who do not, which is why welfare is so effective and essential to our communities. Although I do not personally know anyone openly on welfare, I do believe that if we focus more on the positives of welfare reform and effectiveness, less people will abuse it.
    YIvey.

    ReplyDelete